Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Player vs Harp Player

From: rmcgraw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ben Felton wrote:
> Why should he be
> judged under any other standard ? If Kim Wilson can't play as fast as
> Popper, it doesn't matter cause it's "not his thing" but if Popper can't
> play as fast in the lower register as a bunch of other guys, suddenly
> it's relevant ?
>
> Popper bashing troubles me. It has no rational foundation.
---Gotta agree with Ben on this... Michael, you're a great player but I
think you're wrong about this;  furthermore, the tone of your comments
about Popper make it seem you have some personal beef with him. ["The
Emporer has no clothes,etc?" ]
WVa Bob

OK I started it:

More facts and opinions:
1) I never meant that JP CAN'T play the lower register, fast ,slow or otherwise.

2) I didn't start the thread (which initially compared JR/JP harp/harmonica. It was based on an interview with Watermelon Slim.

3) Said it before and now again--JP has moments on the harmonica where he sounds less than accomplished. i don't know if this is because he had producers on those sessions that didn't demand a better performance/take or what. I and many others feel that the standard in the music world is set really low for our instrument.

4) I don't have anything personal against JP. I only feel that there are issues to be raised when
a player is so highly touted and then hear obvious sloppyness on a recorded "product" for which people pay their hard earned money.

5) His prowess as a songwriter and singer should not give a free pass on neglecting fundamental technique. (I'd bet Steve Vai doesn't get away with or allow bad technique/takes to see the light of day on a product.)

6) I like to see musicians grow as artists and hope that the young JP would want that also.(I am talking about harmonica playing--not singing or songwriting.) Resting on your laurels and fame is not a good thing for any artist.

7)I have no more to say on this- until I find the reference to show exactly what I am talking about on a recording. I have not listened to as much JP as some but I have kept wanting to hear the brilliance heard by so many. (beyond the incredible rhythmic breathing patterns in the high register)

8) John Popper is the best thing that has come around for the harmonica in many years. Now if only some big name rock band would hire Magic Dick to continue his progressive, groundbreaking stylings. IMHO, it is kind of a shame that he is not as noticed for what he can really do- I HAVE listened to every J Geils album until the grooves wore out.

Michael Peloquin
http://www.harpsax.com
Come check me out on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/harpsax