[Harp-L] Terry McMillan

Jerl Welch" <dfwhoot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
I just read on the Steel Guitar forum that our Terry McMillian, of Nashville
Tn. has passed away.

To which I reply:
This is tragic news.  Terry McMillan was definitely in my top 10 all-time
favorite harp players list.  He could blow with the best of them and had an
electricity to his playing that was nearly unequaled.  If you've never heard
his side/feature work on Larry Carlton's Renegade Gentlemen album, it is
well worth a listen.  When Mark O'Conner was putting together his all-star
band for the New Nashville Cats album (and what an all-star line-up it was)
he had Terry on harp.  Although only having a brief solo on the hit single
"Restless", the speed, pace, ferocity of those licks are etched into my harp
consciousness.

One of my dream scenarios was to have Terry be a featured performer at SPAH.
He is one of the few who would have made me drop everything and go to any
lengths to make sure I'd make it to a particular convention.  Sadly, that
now will never happen.  But it does make me reflect on how grateful I am
that I did get to see Corky Siegel, Madcat Ruth, Tom Ball, Curtis Salgado,
Phil Wiggins, Gary Primich, Jason Ricci, Steve Guyger, Sam Meyers, Mark
Hummel, Brendan Power, Mark Ford, Robert Bonfiglio, and Rob Paparozzi at
various SPAH conventions.  I'm just really sorry Terry never made it onto
that list.

Fred S