[Harp-L] getting arrested for sucking on harps?

Winslow sparked some memories in which I was almost arrested for playing harmonica, I wonder if anyone else has had that ignominious experience?

In Boston, ('71?) I was ejected from our basement crash-pad to play my harp outdoors.  I sat on a snowy stoop and blew (and sucked!) with abandon, when suddenly a member of Boston's finest approached my caterwauling self and said, "Boy, there's an 1890's ordinance in Boston outlawing the playing of harmonicas in public, and altho  I've never seen it enforced it before, in your case I 'd make an exception!"

I stopped and returned to my crowded hole on Marlboro Street, shamed and quiet.

In Pasadena, 1979, (where I ended up living 20 years later) I attended the zany Doo Dah Parade, which usually ended with a live band in a local park.   When the cops cancelled the show by barring live music in the park (Doo Dah was unpopular to the patrician paters of Pasadena) I took a stand in the park and started playing loudly.

A Pasadena cop immediately confronted me and angrily said he'd arrested me if I didn't stop.  I hesitated.  After all, I was being accused of playing music, finally!  The cop was serious (stupid!) and an afternoon in the hoosegow would be inconvenient, so I ceased and desisted.

And this timidity from a guy who was arrested no less that a several dozen times in demonstrations in the 60's and 70's.  Go figure.

Another thread might be playin' harp in jail, I won't start it now.

Anyone else faced arrest for their sucking on harps?

-Dave Fertig