Re: [Harp-L] Parallel effects advice?

I use a couple of variations on this.  First let me explain: I used
to think that it was desirable to go "stereo" with effects (many of
the effects boxes I use live have stereo capability), but learned
that in most live situations, stereo is either undetectable or
undesirable.  In the case of sound coming off a stage, you're
effectively separating the two stereo channels by less than one
foot, which makes the effect undetectable from more than a few feet
from the amplifier.  In the case of running through a stereo PA,
most people in a venue are only going to be able to hear one side,
or to hear one side much more clearly than the other.  In that case,
they're not going to get a stereo effect, but rather only part of
your intended output.

That said, I do make use of A/B/Y switches.  I have a two channel
preamp with vaiable valve voicing, which means I can control the
amount of valve (tube) compression independently in the two
channels.  I like to set one channel up for a compressed sound, and
the other more clean.  Then I run one side of the A/B/Y switch into
one channel and the other side into the other channel.  I use the
footswitch to choose which side.  I tend to play comps and fills and
stuff "clean" and switch to overdrive for solos.  Sometimes it
varies by song type ("clean" for more traditional "country", for
example, compressed for the rock-n-roll stuff).  I never use the "Y"
setting, though I have occasionally done so by accident.  It doesn't
seem to degrade the signal output to fork it into two separate
channels.  I use a Morely A/B/Y box, by the way.

Many of the built-in effects in my Alesis MidiVerb 4 are designed
for "dry defeat" use, meaning that you can output only the affected
signal, and blend it with the unaffected signal after processing.  I
don't do this, I prefer to turn "dry defeat" off, and blend the
signal inside the unit.  There are configurable parameters that let
you choose (by percentage) how much effect to blend with the "dry"
signal.  I generally end up setting these MUCH lower than the
factory default setting.

My equalizer is also stereo, though I have never tried EQing the two
sides differently.  My take on it, as mentioned at the top, is that
the stereo effect is lost on the audience in a live situation.  It
might be more effective if it's recorded and listened to through
headphones or something.

Don't know if this was helpful,

-tim

Alexander Savelyev wrote:

Hi,

BACKGROUND

I'm thinking of using parallel effects, that is, sending two signals
(original and exact copy of it) to two chain of effects with option
combine them in the main mixer or sending them to two amps, or have a
combination of an amp and PA. there are option of having 3 and more
signals, but 2 will be enough to break my head for a while. I
understand
that it may take unnecessary time, resources and energy without
having a
clue of what I am doing, so I recourse to asking you guys first.

I'd like to use only one mic for acoustic sound - both chains being
tuned for acoustic sound as well but with different effect
ingredients.

QUESTION I:

I think of using channel switcher so I could switch between 2 chains
of
effects easily and when necessary use both together - line switchers
with routing options and outputs for A only; B only; A/B together.
That
is, a line switcher with two buttons, one input and two outputs.

Will I be successful if I plug my mic into line switcher directly and
then, using A and B outputs, connect them to each respective chain
with
two preamps at the beginning of each chain (i'll use effects loop, so
preamps will send preamped and wet signal to PA or Amp and PA).

My concern is using the Y routing, that is, both A and B outputs from
line switcher. Will it degradate the initial signal coming from the
mic?
And should I use an additional preamp before the line switcher?

Any comments?

QUESTION II:

Can somebody share some intersting combinations of effects of A and B
chains. i know that it's very good to have, say, a sufficient amount
of
delay effect with chorus in one chain panned extremely to left or
right,
and a dry signal in another chain with the pan with at noon. At the
same
time tricks with EQ in each chain can give good results too. I'm just
wondering if some of us have some tasty and personally checked,
beloved
or used combinations of effects in terms of A/B chains combination
(i.e.
(A) compressor, phaser, reverb / (B) dry; (A) compressor, delay / (B)
pitch shifter, EQ, etc.)?

Any comments on that?

Big thanks in advance,

Alex