[Harp-L] Re: Chromatic slide

Don't know about toxicity, but if you must lubricate it, I'd consider taking it apart and scribbling on the contacting surfaces with a soft black-lead pencil (no, it's not' lead'; it's graphite, I believe) like a 2B or 4B. Any black lead pencil will work, it's just easier to do with a soft lead. You can buy graphite powder in a puffer bottle for lubricating locks without creating dust-attracting moisture, but I find the pencil a bit easier to control than floating dust.
Any opinions on this ( particularly regarding toxicity)?
RD
>>> David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 20/12/2007 10:18 >>>
I forgot to mention, you need to work the slide back and forth to get the water flowing and clean it.

  If you HAD to, I'd use a turbine oil. I get it at the hardware store, it's a paraffin-based oil. It's better to just keep it clean and use no oil, I think, as oil will attract dirt, then you gotta keep oiling it and continue the cycle. You can hold the harp upside down at a 45 degree angle, then take an eyedropper and put drops of water on the slide button and let the water run down and come out the other side of the slide. Then dry it before turning right side up. It only takes a few drops, the important thing is don't let it run inside the harp, just the slide itself.

  Dave

  Dave Payne Sr.
  Elk River Harmonicas
  www.elkriverharmonicas.com