Re: [Harp-L] Teaching to bend

In a message dated 12/18/2007 10:45:33 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Some bends are more easily controlled by the throat than by the tongue.  Some
of the deeper bends can benefit from this approach, as can can tongue
blocked bends in the middle and lower ranges of the  harp.

Here is where we have a difference in philosophy - "L"ers, try them all and
choose which one best suits you. Don't be afraid to change your mind a few
times  on the path to enlightenment.

I've analyzed, prioritized, and sympathized with all approaches to bending.
This is an evolution based on 15 years of teaching heavily and changing my
approach/philosophy many times.

My conclusions are 100% tongue movement - and when the sweet spot is
discovered, the tongue need not move very much at all. By minimizing down to an
essence the movement needed to create and control bends, I have more  efficient
control at all tempos with much less effort, resulting in more  of that
"effortless mastery" over the instrument that I seek.

Throat is kept open in the "pre yawn attitude" at all times, which gives me
the largest rounded tones to all notes - including those created through
bending  techniques. Keeping the throat open also helps me minimize the tone
differences  to notes created through bending techniques when compared to "given"
ones.

This works equally well for TB technique. The tongue is the miracle muscle,
able to do many things at once.

As far as exhale bends go, I reverse the concept and let a sweet spot area
at the front of the tongue curve up to control the bends, still keeping the
throat "pre-yawn". Once again, very little movement of the tongue is needed to
give me all the control I need.

OB/OD are a slightly different animal, as I need that quick diaphragmatic
burst to instigate them, but I still try to find the sweet spot and use total
efficiency in tongue muscle movement.

The Iceman