[Harp-L] Jason Ricci and New Blood - Jam Band?

Hey,

Keep hearing JR's band being referred to as a jam band. Wondering what
defines such a category? To me the Grateful Dead were a jam band. I think JR  would
feel he is not a "jam band", I would like to ask him sometime, but  probably
will not do that.

What I hear in Jason and the New Blood's style  is a tightly arranged  and
highly rehearsed sound. I hear sought of planned out movements  throughout  the
lengthiest of his tunes. Also tight jazz arrangements in  others. Along of
course with his blues and funk tunes. The amazing aspect of the  bands music is
it defies just one category. Jam band does not fit, in  my opinion,  or is
justified. I would bet that New Blood and Jason play  their tunes exactly the same
every time, or pretty darn close to it. They  certainly do not seem to "jam'
to me. I don't know, I might be wrong.

I was not crazy  over their new CD. I liked it, but not crazy in love  with
it. But the more I listen to the CD, the more I hear why this is really a
special, unique, tightly composed musical accomplishment. I would  even say
groundbreaking in some ways (incorporating different cultures of  music).
Sophisticated stuff, that has taken me some time to realize what is  really being put
down here. I plan to keep listening.

                       Happy Holidays,

                                  Chris Mastakas