Re: [Harp-L] Re: JJ Milteau plays "What a wonderful world"

I also think Wolf's points are valide. Since I know JJ a little, I think I should add that he stopped striving for perfection sometime in the 90s and went instead for emotion. He lost a lot of diehard blues-rock fans back then and gained a lot of non-musician fans. I think he traded up ;-)

Like Martin, I buy his stuff wholesale. I don't analyse, I don't disect, I just try to hear rather than listen. I'm sure there are many imperfections, but I don't care. That's what I try to do with all music these days, although it's harder with harmonica because I know the instrument too well. These last few years in St Aignan, I was surprised several times, talking with pro harmonica players about the concerts and hearing them say thngs like "he plays mostly 3rd position, that's not very inventive" or "he uses alternate tunings, I don't like that". These are the kinds of comments that suggest to me that the listener hasn't heard the music...

Having said that, the album version of What a Wonderful World leaves me cold. For some strange reason, live it brings goosebumps on my arms. Go figure...

Finally, regarding his albums, apart from the astounding and sadly OOP Routes, I don't think his 90s albums were particularly stunning. Of his 00s albums, I'd recommend Blue 3rd, despite the fact that it's a schizophrenic one. I does feature the best of his playing and feeling in recent years (alongside very easy-listening stuff not worth mentioning), to my ears at least. His duets with Gil Scott-Heron and Terry Calier as well as the collaborations with Howard Johnson featured on that record are pure gems, though.

Anyway, I will just end by saying that we all have different ways of apprehending music, and perfection of pitch is not high on my list of appreciation criteria, but I understand they are for others (I wouldn't dare suggest to a musician of JJs caliber what he should do though, like switching to another instrument!)

Benoit

Wolf brings up some valid points re: JJ Milteau´s "What a wonderful world". I don´t think it´s nitpicking to point out that he´s slightly sour at two times (at least as far as I can hear) -- had he played any other instrument than harmonica this would have been a matter of course. With the (diatonic) we tend to accept imperfections to a sometimes alarmingly high degree, and possibly so in the name of some misguided "solidarity".
> 6. Those same bent notes were of a subtly different
timbre; different enough that I started thinking about
them instead of the song.

Achieving an absolutely neutral timbre on 3bb and bbb is something I consider an impossibility. Hope I can be proven wrong before I check out.
However, I am so bowled over by this small mícrocosm of modest beauty he creates that I must confess I´m buying it lock stock. Specially fond of the Stan Getz/Ben Webster-like vibrato-puffing that he uses a couple of times.
Give it a listen, those who haven´t yet. (Can also be found on Ben Felten´s very good site
www.harmonica.typepad.com.)
>3. An overall striving for beauty. Beauty is
underrated in modern art.

That will go as my apothegm for the day, thanks Wolf.
Interesting that he plays it in E -- that´s one of the keys I´d have associated with a "harder" sound, not for this type of smoothness. So much for my ears. (It´s in F on the record, if I remember correctly, a more "natural" choice. But I´m hungover to the point of petrification so I haven´t a clue what that means. We drink, we Swedes.)

  Cheers,
  Martin

Wolf Kristiansen <wolfkristiansen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm late to this thread, but I've been busy; please
indulge me. I read harp-l religiously, but don't
often post. This topic, and the clip it refers to,
inspired me to write.

Martin Oldsberg pointed us to a lovely YouTube clip of
J.J. Milteau playing "It's a Wonderful World" on his
diatonic harmonica before a live and attentive
audience. Nice to see the harmonica getting the
respect it deserves. He was accompanied by a
sympathetic guitarist, whose understated style
perfectly fit the long, melodic lines Mr. Milteau
served up.

It was a treat to see and hear the harmonica simply
played without fear simplicity would be mistaken for
lack of skill or technique. There was plenty of
expert technique on display; also plenty of
musicality.

It's Christmas,let me be Scrooge.

The good things I heard-- 1. A beautiful tone. Clean but rich.
2. A beautiful vibrato. Present only when called for,
and subtle when present.
3. An overall striving for beauty. Beauty is
underrated in modern art.

The bad things I heard-- These may simply be a matter of musical taste (mine):
4. Mr. Milteau slid into some notes that did not
require this. That is, he started some notes bent,
then slid into the note he was aiming for. To my
ears, for this song, he should have hit most of those
notes cleanly. 5. The cleanly bent notes in draw 2 and draw 3 used,
not as passing notes, but essential notes, were subtly
off pitch. They were flat.
6. Those same bent notes were of a subtly different
timbre; different enough that I started thinking about
them instead of the song.

Try listening with the video turned off, or with your
eyes off the screen, if you don't hear what I hear
right away.

Many will see my remarks as nitpicking, but my finely
tuned sense of pitch compels me to offer these
comments. I think the problems are, more than
anything else, demonstrative of the limitations
inherent in the tuning of the diatonic harmonica. The
same problems that made Winslow Yerxa's "Ode to Joy"
challenge such a difficult one for the expert players
on this list.

That said, I laud Mr. Milteau for attempting the song
with our beloved, 4 inch, humble musical instrument.

Wolf Kristiansen