Re: [Harp-L] What's a double Stop??

In a message dated 12/7/2007 12:25:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
BiscuitBoy714 writes:
<I know I do this but I  have no idea what you are talking about. For that
<matter I don't know a lot of  the terminology that you guys use. I'd been
<playing semi and pro for over 30  years when I got here too, I just aint hip to <all of the terms. Somebody clue  me in please.

As I understand it, the term "double stop" comes from string players (symphonic string instruments like violin, cello, etc. for sure, maybe guitar too), and refers to fingering or "stopping" two notes at once (for example, a major or minor 3rd) on different strings.  When applied to instruments other than stringed instruments, the term generally means a 2-note chord.

If someone who's studied the topic can confirm or correct this, please do.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter
harmonica blog at myspace.com/richardhunterharp