RE: [Harp-L] low impedance

"John Balding" wrote:
<The tone will not change. What will change is the output level. I will
<not go into electronic theory, but suffice to say that you will have to
<turn the amp volume up to attain the same volume and "grit" that your
<mic produced when wired high impedance.

I'd go beyond that.  If you're plugging a lo-z mic wired for XLR cable into a hi-z input (like a guitar amp input), you need to put a transformer at the end of the mic cable that goes to the amp--not just an XLR to 1/4" convertor.

Fortunately, lo-z XLR to hi-z 1/4" transformers are small and lightweight, relatively inexpensive, and widely available.  Radio Shack sells a decent one for about $16.

A lo-z mic with a transformer on the cable will sound pretty much indistinguishable from the same mic wired for hi-z.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter
harmonica blog at myspace.com/richardhunterharp