Re: [Harp-L] Amp/ Mic for Chromatic [jazz] Harmonica?

Hi Bob -

Here's a repost from a while back regarding my current mic:

Lately I've been using a teeny tiny Countryman B6 that I special ordered via Sweetwater. The special order was to have a longer mic cord and, most importantly, reduced sensitivity (-20db). Even with the reduced sensitivity, it is a little to hot (distorts on double-stops before it ever makes it to the preamp if the mic is inside your tightly cupped hands). Unfotunately, they don't make a less sensitive version. I originally tried it at the winter NAMM show and fell in love with the sound.

http://www.countryman.com/store/?catid=4

Since I play guitar and need to pick up the harmonica quickly, I attach the mic directly to the back of the harmonica using a pair of velcro strips (one strip has adhesive on the side that attaches to the harmonica). The mic cord is tiny and is sandwiched between the velcro strips.

I keep the mic pointed away from the harmonica on the bass side so I can either include it in my cup or not. When playing single lines I enclose the mic in the cup and the sound is very close-up, warm, and clear -- and there is no feedback problem since it is so hot. When I'm doing double stops (or more) I move my left hand slightly so the mic is outside the cup -- otherwise it will distort (in this configuration you have to be more careful about feedback).

The mic needs phantom power, and since I play with a volume pedal I plug it into a mic preamp before the volume pedal. This is the best sounding mic I've come across for chromatic (so far).

Other stuff:

Between the mic preamp (which is an ART Studio V3, Tube MP) and the volume pedal (which is an Ernie Ball VP Junior), I have a SansAmp Acoustic DI (which gives me some nice EQ choices). Then, I plug the volume pedal into a Roland AC60 (which is the little amp I was playing my solid body nylon guitar through at the Bonfiglio seminar we both attended).

I've been using this setup on my weekly gig for over a half a year and it's been great. It's also the same setup I used at this year's SPAH for my solo set. Just took a direct out from the AC60 to the main board. I had quite a few compliments on my harmonica sound from some folks who I really respect. Most importantly, I really like the sound which leaves me free to concentrate on playing ;-).

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com

rmcgraw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I know this has been addressed before, but I'm too lazy to check the
archives :-) What amp/mic combos do you jazz chromatic players use? I love
the blues chromatic guy's sounds but that's not what I'm looking for, and
I've got all that stuff anyway. What does Toots use?
I have an SM-57 that I like...is there a better [similarly priced] mic for
this sound?
WVa Bob