Re: [Harp-L] Solo 610 Preamp

hi Robert,

thanks for your comments. i'm going to use the diatonic and chromatic harmonicas with the handheld mic and playing acoustically only - smth like Lee Oskar's sound. For that I'm considering a good mic and tube preamp. At the same time I need a preamp that would allow me recording very quiet but juicy sound - most of the cheap preamps are noisy in this respect and not that good in terms of the headroom when tracking, etc. And in my case there's no use in relying on studio set-up  cause where I live they have different types of preamps and not the best once, and it's hard to control the signature sound.

I checked one of the Richard Hunter's website articles and I liked the set up of Lee Oskar, who claims he plays through Beyer M160 and any great tube preamp available. His favorite at the moment [accrording to the article] is Pendullum vacuum tube preamp [most probably MDP1 - http://www.pendulumaudio.com/MDP-1.html ] I researched and found out that nearly all guitarists are praying to get their hands on it and it constantly is the choice #1 of the knowledgable performers - in this case it's not about that tuby sound, but a normal acoustic sound backed by hi-end tube circuit. Though if you check the link, this unit is quite expensive and anything up to a grand is not that expensive, right?:) So, I'm looking at something portable but with equally powerful features and Solo 610 preamp - according to reviews - is something to consider, though I wanted to check once again with the harmonica mates before getting any further with the purchase decision. Once again, this one is not for a distorted, chicago sound, but for pure and fat acoustic sound.

thanks,

Alex

>>> Robert Ross <robertaross@xxxxxxxxx> 05.12.2007 18:50:23 >>>
Well, I never used anything that high-end. I use a little ART Tube
Preamp sometimes. The 610 is a single channel preamp that would work
with any mic with an XLR cable I believe. There may be models with
1/4 inputs, too - not sure. The idea I believe with a tube preamp is
to achieve a warmer, more analog sound, probably usually on vocals
but there is no reason why you couldn't run a harp mic through it.
Not sure why you would need to, though. If you want to go straight
into a PA system or something, there are better solutions designed
just for harp, like the Harp Commander, which is almost hald the
price:

http://www.holmeseng.com/index_files/Page1306.htm

Perhaps someone with more experience than me with my little home
studio can give more info.

Robert Ross
aka rawharp