RE: [Harp-L] how do we best support harp players when buying their music?

Marc asked:
If an artist has music available through multiple retail outlets (music stores, Amazon.com, CDbaby, iTunes, and/or other venues), which is the most supportive way to buy their music? Which option puts more money in the artist's pocket? Is it more important that they have higher sales figures on something mainstream like amazon.com or iTunes or that they receive a higher amount of royalties via a lesser-known retail outlet? For those of you who sell your music, do you have a preference (beyond that people buy and listen to it in the first place)?
The best scenerio is always to buy directly from the artist, if possible. Anytime you can eliminate the middlemen, both the purchaser and the artist can get a better deal. Sales figures at places like Amazon and iTunes are pretty much irrelevant at this level.

Granted, it's not always possible to buy direct. In that case, CDBaby is preferable to Amazon, at least from the artist's perspective. The Amazon Advantage program is such that Amazon receives 55% (and the artist 45%) of the selling price.

All of this assumes that the CD is self-produced, however. When an artist has a label deal, 100% of the proceeds on a CD (bought anywhere except directly from the artist) goes to the record company. Then, much later, the artist *might* receive a "royalty." Of course there are two sides to that story -- when an artist has a label deal, at least s/he can be theoretically assured of distribution and promotion. Speaking for myself, I've had very pleasant label deals with several labels -- most notably Flying Fish, Rounder, Kicking Mule, Taxim and No Guru. Also had a few losers which I shant mention in a public forum. :)

So in a nutshell, the direct route is always best for all concerned. But believe me, all of us are just plain thrilled to make ANY sale, no matter how it's accomplished!

cheers,
Tom Ball
new CD at
http://CDBaby.com/cd/tomball3/from/havaball