war harp Re: [Harp-L] was Harmonicas Shipped to Iraq, now let's ship harps to Ir

Speaking of GIs and harps, here's what has happened to
me 4-5 times over the years.

After playing a gig or jamming at a party, a hand is placed
on my shoulder and a WWII vet says: "I really
enjoyed your playing , I had a harmonica with me overseas and it kept me sane (was my best friend, kept me company in my foxhole, etc.)"

Usually they add that they didn't play as bluesy but they still enjoyed my playing. Twice these vets pulled out harps and played after some gentle prodding. Sweet and emotional.

I'm sure many of you have heard similar stories from our
Vets!

Dan