Re: [Harp-L] A young Toots and an alive Peggy

This is a great clip; I ran across it for the first time a few days
ago.

This is a live performance of something that Toots and Peggy Lee
recorded together. The amazing thing about this live clips is the
degree to which Toots seems to be overplaying.

The idea behind the arrangement was that instead of the instrumentalist
filling between vocal phrases, roles would be reversed and the singer
would fill behind the instrumentalists - "interpreting", as Peggy puts
it (responding to a particularly bluesy phrase by looking mildly
shocked and protesting, "I can't tell them that!"

Toots plays wall to wall in the live clip. A lesser force than Miss
Peggy Lee might never have gotten a word in edgewise. But she manages
to deliver her part of the dialogue with assurance, warmth, and wit,
and never seems like she's forcing her way in or shouting him down.
It's a testament to what two excellent musicians with great mutual
simpatico can do together at the top of their game.

Winslow