[Harp-L] Re: Was Loud Guitar, was Loud Harp Amps - now just plain LOUD

I personally love playing lower volume gigs and just wish that I could do every gig with my HarpGear 5F1.
I have fought all my life against playing stupidly loud and will continue to do so.

Because as I prove to other musicians time and time again, there is something very special about playing a little quieter.
There is a certain volume where all the instruments separate out and you can hear every little nuance of every player.

This also forces you to have to "play" because there is no hiding place!
You have to be on the ball and listen to everybody else on the stage.
I know that lots of people blame guitarists for the volume problem and to an extent they are right.
However the drums are also to blame, as are harp players. Take your share of the blame and keep your volume down and refuse to enter into volume battles with guitars, etc.

I will always remember years ago. I was watching a singer / guitarist and told him he needed to turn up because he couldn't be heard over the crowd talking. His reply was "No, I need to turn down, and then the people who want to listen will tell other people to shut up".
The same thing applies onstage with others.

Finally you have to remember the golden rule. You are the paid entertainment!!!!!!!
If the bar / club says it's too loud, then turn it down!! Act like a professional and do your job.

It's not rocket science. Think about it. If you had a plumber in to fix your pipes, you wouldn't expect him to drill holes in all your pipes and let water flood your home.
You would expect, no you would demand, that he act like a professional and do the job correctly. You have a duty to do the same.
If you want to be the best musician you can be, then be professional and demand that the other guys on stage act that way too.

Paul www.kingleyharp.co.uk