Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Song suggestions?

Sorry, not me.  That was Drori Hammer who posed the question to the  list.

My suggestion was "Beyond the Sea" ..the Bobby Darin "version" of La
Mer....the very well-known French song (and instrumental).  I mentioned Mr.  Darin
only to give Drori a frame of reference.  The melody is very lovely,  and as
Drori specified, he wasn't looking for anything specifically  mournful.

In my experience, anyone hearing Amazing Grace can't help but react with
tears.  I get choked up even watching/listening to the latest version  I know
of...Jason Ricci's YouTube version posted here by Garry Hodgson a couple  of
weeks ago.

Drori further asked about anything "sea" related, as the deceased was young
and a surfer.  So "Beyond the Sea" seems to fit that category, in my humble
opinion. I'm sure there are more songs/instrumentals out there that would be
equally appropriate, of course.

Elizabeth

******************

"Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:49:00 EDT
From: IcemanLE@xxxxxxx
To:  harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 8/26/2007 7:45:38 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,
EGS1217@xxxxxxx writes:

Does  anyone have a  good  suggestion what
> instrumental peice I might  play for  such an  event?

Whatever you decide, the most moving and  successful songs are ones that are
very well recognized by all the  attendees (mostly non-musicians, probably).
That's why "Amazing Grace"  works so well. It is a beautiful melody and
everyone
recognizes  it.

The obscure tunes that are pretty are not as effective in reaching  the
heart/souls of the audience.

My suggestion is to keep it  as main stream as possible.

The  Iceman"