Re: [Harp-L] 10 hole German major valved chromatic

You picked up a diatonic and played it and it made complete and total sense to you from the very first moment.
So maybe the problem is one of expectations. The above is not true for most instruments. Try to play violin or a clarinet with no previous experience and you will probably not like what you hear. By comparison, chromatic is quite easy to at least make a reasonable sound. I was lucky enough to be introduced to it at the age of 5, and there was not much struggle involved as my mind was wide open -- that's probably the key, keep an open mind and learn to walk before you try to run. I only played for a few years before I put it aside in favor of guitar, but that early exposure somehow really helped.

This whole conversation about trouble getting a sound on chromatic has been very interesting to me since I would like to eventually teach folks how to play chromatic and hopefully to get a decent tone in fewer years than it took me -- which only came about for me after years of playing without realizing that my tone would ever get better. It was a very gradual and natural process.

One thing I learned at SPAH this year was that the guys who have been playing chrom the longest tend to have the best tone, generally speaking -- although Julian Davis was one obvious exception at age 17, perhaps because he's so focused on emulating Stevie.

One thing I tried to do pretty early on when I returned to the chromatic in my mid 20s was just that, I took the Stevie Wonder Chromatic course, which doesn't really exist. But if you get all of his recordings (at the time I found a great deal on Motown reissued LPs, today that great deal is the iTunes "Complete" Stevie Wonder) and start at the beginning -- learning his earliest licks first and trying to play them just the way he did back then. Then slowly move forward through his recording career. I think this helped me quite a bit.

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com

fjm wrote:
I'm not terrible at playing a 10 hole harmonica. I can overblow the easy ones, play 1 through 4th position. I have all 10 holes available to me, I can tongue block, u-block or play pucker. I manage chords and single notes fairly well. There are definite deficits in my playing but I'm past intermediate in skill level. None of this translates readily to playing a chromatic. I'm not a single note player on diatonic. This is not a particularly useful strategy for chromatic. Yes I know there are some chords but it's very very different. Tone on a chromatic is also entirely different. So is the expression. Trills for instance. Much of the expressiveness of diatonic is accessed through bends. I've seen Slim Heilpern play, I've heard him talk about playing. It's clear to me the strategies he employs are entirely different than what I'd use playing the 10 hole. It's really a very different way of thinking. I'm not giving up, there's a CX-12 on my desk and I play it daily but there is no denying it's a struggle. All you diatonic players out there, raise your hand if this fits. You picked up a diatonic and played it and it made complete and total sense to you from the very first moment. I know this was true for me. It was so completely rewarding. I picked one up and I could play music. fjm