[Harp-L] SPAH 2007

Now that I full week as gone by I want to make some comments on the convention and search out some info for next year?s planning.

The highlight this year for me was seeing 5 teenagers hanging out together all with great strengths and different styles.  They?re all on track to being future SPAH attendees and give the old school a lift.  In addition, the 104 kids that Buddy?s Harp kids brought in was a great success.  Every year this program brings a smile and tear to the volunteers who make it happen.

The Jazz Jam in a public space certainly worked as best as it ever has.  The mix of chrom?s and diatonic?s this year was not an issue.  To attract Howard and Jeff from Chicago certainly added to the excitement.  We will continue to host this event in the hotel bar in the future.

The blues jam I heard was as spectacular as ever and the post jam was even better thanks to folks like Jimi Lee and the Joe Filisko with his ?more tone? screams.

The bluegrass jam was equally great and split up the jams into more manageable numbers.

Hallway playing has never been better from Jimi Lees jams to Phil C. and his CD?s to Bob Macfarlane on piano to the Sardos holding court all week.

Attached to this was lot?s of open stage time and Herb Eck?s play along.  We had the luxury of having lots of rooms to gather in and open mic was solid all week

Some questions:

Should we do another double-booked night?
Was the blues show this year a good one in a small venue?
We?re there to many seminars?
Did you find enough chances to play?
If a bar was booked with a 2-minute walk from the hotel should we host our blues act out of the hotel?
(This is possible in St Louis)

Any suggestions for talent or seminars for next year would be helpful.

Please add your comments and input on how we can do better next year.  I?m always open to suggestions and volunteers that want to get involved.  It?s a great organization with a common love we all share.

Paul Davies