[Harp-L] The birthday present (MY opinion)

Hmm, where to begin. I am sooo discombobulated, I can't speak. And so I'll write. It will be hard to convey my thoughts and I hope that my words, inadequate as they may be, aren't taken in the wrong context.

It has been a week since I got back late Sunday night from spah, and since I have been home, it's as if something has sapped all the energy out of me. I have been falling asleep in the middle of the day. It's like that British science fiction fear film where the alien girl comes back to earth on the space ship and proceeds to exude the essence out of people and leave them as crispy dead Triscuits.

I have made it no secret over the years that I don't like albums with less than 30% good tunes on them. In other words, if an album has 13 tues, I want 3.9 (round that to 4) tunes that are worthy of my time. 6 would be better, 9 better still. I have a Randy Singer album (Harmonica Dreams) that is 12 out of 12. It will soon be my 65th birthday and I received the most wonderful gift (except for my children).

An album named 'Topsy & Turvey'. Topsy is Penny Hanna (and is she ever), and Turvey is Slideman Slim (Heilpern).
I have listened to this album several times and it has taken my strength away. It is that good. Of the 12 cuts on the album, 18 are super. It is that good. To dilineate:

1. Penny Hanna on Bass...It's like listening to Ron Carter. Smooth as silk.
2. Penny Hanna on harmony...Flawless, impeccable timing.
3. Penny Hanna on voice...I immediately fell in love (sorry Slim). She has an etheral quality which is Ella Fitzgerald and a touch of Julie London, Dionne Warwick, Barbara Streisand. I noticed in her voice a longing, a hunger, an affection. It went through me like a red hot razor blade. It's a good thing I was sitting down at the time or I would have fallen when my legs melted away.

1. Slim on guit-fiddle...I picked up an aura of Kenny Burrell with a tad of Wes Montgomery in there. Never bodacious, the guitar was absolutely perfect for the music at hand.
2. Slim on harmony...Flawless, and very very subdued. Just enough to compliment and still stay subtly in the background.
3. Slim on harmonica...I have never heard as good a job with a chromo. I really mean it. I have heard them all. NO one can match his sound. It is so da*n sweet. No amateurish glissandoes, he can leap 7 notes and hit spot on every time. The vibrato was just enough, never overwhelming. No funny BS runs, The choices of notes can only be described as delicious. I WISH I had the wherewithall to choose such combinations. Just enough crying in these cuts to make your skin crawl.

Fluidity. That's his forte. And he can run through keys like Sherman through Georgia in an effortless legato relaxed way that no one ('I' know) can compare. He has a way to feather out the ends of his phrases and his improv on rolling the chords is just plain stunning. In conclusion, Slim has risen to #1 place in my preference of chromo players. Sorry rest of the world, but I cannot tell a lie. I don't understand why they aren't top recording stars.

smokey-joe