Re: [Harp-L] Loud?

Hello Daniel,

very good research on chromatic harmonica examples.  You have chosen some
good to some very good videos, different genres, showing quite clearly where
you want to get. The last guy also shows some points of improvement usual
with beginner chromatic harmonica players.

You have also identified some important harmonica techniques in the videos,
like (throat or diaphragm) vibrato, tremolo, hand effects, trills, etc.
Well, these spice up the chromatic harmonica sound, but are, for the
beginning, of lesser importance.

Important is to get a clear, loud and clean single note. With a tone that
you enjoy. You will have to deal with the embouchure (are you hitting the
single note cleanly, without loosing air at the sides or hitting extra notes
unintentionally?) and with tone shaping (has to do with the shape of your
mouth cavity and eve respiratory tracts to the lung).

Of course, this is not simple to show through e-mail, and I am surely not
the most indicated person to do this. If I can give you a tip, keep it
relaxed. Pay attention to the muscles in your mouth, throat and diaphragm
and see if there is any unnecessary tension. Vary the shape of your mouth,
push the tongue around, try to control the muscles in your throat. And see
what happens.

Getting a good tone on chromatic is different than getting a good tone on
diatonic, but it involves the same muscles and same physics.

Well, I don't know any players in Mexico City (or even Mexico, to be
honest), but, speaking from experience, in a city diverse and big as MXC
there must be some players around. Go to music conservatories, studios,
internet forums. You might get lucky. If you happen to see that there is a
chromatic harmonica concert in town, you will probably find players in the
audience, or even be able to speak to the performing player himself. I know
it isn't easy to find chromatic harmonica players scattered among so many
people. But once you found one, you will get quickly connected to others.
Talk to other diatonic harmonica players, many have experience with the
chromatic or know who has and might help you. I come from São Paulo myself,
and I believe I can relate to your situation. I believe that there must be
Mexicans subscribed to this list who might want to help off list. He, amigos
mexicanos, un poquito de ayudo por favor!

Does anybody have a good chromatic harmonica book to recommend? I know of
Doug Tate's book "Play the harmonica  well" might be quite suitable and it
is really affordable: http://shurl.org/eYGPG

Well, and last, but not least, keep at it and continue to practice. But try
to vary what you do so that you increases your chances of getting what you
want by trial and error.

And now I have to go back to packing.

Saludos desde Trossingen,
Fernando