Re: [Harp-L] first chromatic questions

Garry -

The CX-12 is a solid choice.

For a first chromatic, three octaves will be less overwhelming than
four - just the difference in size from a 10-hole diatonic is
considerable.

That said, part of the standard third-position blues chromatic sound is
the use of that bottom octave. One way to get that in a three-octave
instrument is to get a tenor - i.e. a low C.

As to key, the usual (but not exclusive) way of using a chromatic in
blues is to play third position (D on a C harp), or 10th with the
button held in (Eb), sometimes 1st (C) and every now and then 9th (Ab,
like second with the button in), 8th (Db, like first with the button
held in). Second position isn't all that popular.

If you plan to start reading music, a C chromatic would be the most
straightforward - no need to figure out transpositions. If not, then
perhaps the best way to choose is to decide which key you'd most like
to play third-position chromatic.

Winslow