Re: [Harp-L] Seydel vs. OTC harps

Hi Guy,

I don't know if there is much of a difference between a stock LO and a stock Seydel Session 'cause I never played a LO. Just had some Hohner Blues Harps (the old ones with nails) and a very good Huang Silvertone de Luxe, which was my favourite harp for the last 16 years.

Six weeks ago I bought my first Seydel Session. I went home, took it out of the box and couldn't stop playing for about four hours. It's got an incredible full tone, is easy to bend, very responsive and, due to it's design, very comfortable. The holes are slightly bigger than on other brands and the parts of the comb between the holes are rounded. Although the distances are different there was almost no time needed to get used to it, after the first riff everything was natural to me. Overbends are not yet part of my skills, so I can't say anything about it.

As you already mentioned the Session isn't too expensive, so just go, get one, give it a try, tell us if there is an advantage.

Rock on,
Ralf

Guy Buxman schrieb:
Greetings fellow listers,
I've been playing Lee Oskar major diatonics almost exclusively and the
occasional Honer Blues Harp.  With all the discussions about premium harps
from the likes of Seydel, Working Man's Harps, etc, I'm becoming
curious;  might an intermediate player discern much difference between say,
a stock Lee Oskar and a Seydel Blues Session Standard?  If so, what might I
expect to find?  I've always presumed that unless you're a heavy overblower,
you don't need anything custom.

I think I'm finally curious enough to buy a set of Blues Sessions if they'll
offer an advantage of my Lee Oskars.

The Seydel Blues Session Standards are very affordable at $27-$37, while the
1847's go for $85.00 each (but they sure look beautiful!).  Is there a
significant difference in tone, action, longevity?

Thanks in advance!

- GB