[Harp-L] re: Seydel vs. OTC harps

First, I'm not sure what "OTC" means in the subject line, so if you could clear that up it would be appreciated.

Now, Guy Buxman wrote:

"I've been playing Lee Oskar major diatonics almost exclusively and the
occasional Honer Blues Harp. With all the discussions about premium harps
from the likes of Seydel, Working Man's Harps, etc, I'm becoming
curious; might an intermediate player discern much difference between say,
a stock Lee Oskar and a Seydel Blues Session Standard? If so, what might I
expect to find? I've always presumed that unless you're a heavy overblower,
you don't need anything custom."

There is nothing custom in any way about the Seydel line. They are stock harps as are Lee Oskars, Hohners and the rest. Indeed, while Seydel quality and quality control has improved dramatically in the last ten years or so, I don't think they are at the level of Lee Oskar in that regards yet. I would recommend trying a Seydel (and other brands as well) to see what you like, but don't expect a significant difference from Lee Oskars in terms of performance--any good quality stock harp is about the same in this arena (with individual plusses and minuses).

A customized harp is one which is set up for you, one at a time by someone who knows what they are doing. It should be tuned to your specifications, set-up as you like gap-wise and otherwise adjusted to your desires. A factory cannot do that. Factories have to set harps up to a "one-size-fits-all" standard which undoubtedly won't be exactly what you want. That is why customized harps are more responsive to your playing and so forth (of course, the best technicians also can do things to improve performance in ways factories can't as well, which further contributes to the superiority of custom harps).

Even high-end harps like the new Suzuki Fire Breath, the Seydel 1847, and the Hohner MB Deluxe are still stock instruments with regards to the set-up. While I have yet to try any, the idea with these is that they offer some new innovations to the market along with a high level of quality control and perhaps a bit tighter overall set-up than most instruments, and thus the increased price. But, they are still not going to play as nicely as a customized harmonica set-up exactly as you want it.

Hope this helps.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'