[Harp-L] RE: Harp Amps / SPAH stuff

Thanks for the kind words Tom. I definitely appreciate that coming from you. Those who haven't heard Tom play
are missing out on a real talent. The guy is a monster. Thanks also to Wezo.

As for SPAH. I can't even begin to name all of the memorable people and great playing that I experienced last week
so I'm not going to try. You all know who you are. For the past 2 years you have been the people who make me look at
myself and ask why I stopped so short on the learning part of playing the harmonica. I'm absolutely blown away by the talent
and the personalities at SPAH. Thank you all for being my inspiration again for the next year.

The one person that I do want to single out is LD Miller. Before meeting him and hearing him I thought that he was another
"Popper" player. I appreciate what Popper can do and all but it's not my thing. I was absolutely blown away by this kid.
I think that he absorbed more in the week of SPAH than I have in 20 years. He is like a sponge and he is a great player & singer.
On top of all of that he is a riot. Great personality and VERY mature for 13. Great stuff. I had a ball hanging at the bar with
his family as well. These folks are just great and I honestly hope that all of the recent publicity pay's off for them.

Peace,
Scooter

As a run up to SPAH I had the chance to play through Scott Berberian's new
smaller Meteor ("Mini-Meat") prototype amp. Scott sent it to me a few days
before SPAH so that I could play with it and then bring it along to Milwaukee
when I drove up from Chicago. I was able to run it through the paces at a band
rehearsal and also gig with it once. It looks just like it's big brother (one
of which I am a proud and very happy owner) but smaller. Instead of two 10"
Webber speakers and one 12" it sports two 8"s and one 10". Another feature is
that it is switch biased so that you can run it either at 30 watts with 2
6L6 or 20 watts with 2 6V6 power tubes. The sound is very similar to the
original amp; punchy and articulate with a broad range of tonal color though not
quite as loud and with a bit less bottom end. Since the amp is a prototype I
know that Scott, in his obsessed quest for perfection, is still not quite done
tweaking it yet. That said, it still sounded incredible and when I gigged
with it using the line out there was absolutely no problem being heard all the
way in the back of a big room full of people. This is a great little (actually
medium sized at about 35 lbs.) amp and should be considered by anyone who is
looking for a manageable sized unit that will allow them to be heard in any
situation and make the most of their own sound.

tom albanese