To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 2:18 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Ragtime harmonica / Walnut Valley Festival?

Phil Lloyd mentioned ragtime music on the harmonica and I thought I'd chime
in
with a tune that I'm workin out. It's called "Russian Rag" and was written
in 1918
and based on a famous prelude by Rachmaninoff. I met Todd Hallawell (a
great
fingerstyle guitarist), last year, He plays it and challenged me to play it
on my diatonic.

The first two sections are in D minor which works out well on a C.  The
"trio" section,
where it get's "raggy", is in F major which works out well again.   Takes
quite a few OBs and an OD but.... it's a challenge....  You can find the
chart and mp3/midi  and many others at this link:

http://parlorsongs.com/issues/1999-6/jun99feature.asp

If anyone from the list is going to the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield
Kansas this year, drop me an email and we can get together and play/chat.
It's a very harp friendly "bluegrass" festival where I have jammed with a
variety of groups containing instruments such as guitar/banjo/mandolin,
sax,clarinet, flute, pennywhistle,and trombone, but not all at once.  I
especially like the "jazz standards" jam!

later...

dick anderson
Loveland Colorado