[Harp-L] re: bending, beginner to beginner

Karen;
            If you actually get to the Ab (glad to see you speak 'C
harp' consistently like I do) then you're probably doing OK.
            I don't know if it's just me (will add here that I'm an
experienced player with 37 years playing behind me) but in the last few
years, I have found the Hohner harps which are what I generally use
(usually Special 20s, some Proharps) have a tendency to squawk at the
bottom end of a bend.
           Sometimes I do it at the end of a song so that it sounds
like feedback.
           Bit of a pain if you don't want it though.
           I think the answer might lie in putting a drop of melted
beeswax on the head of the reed-rivet.
RD

>>> "Karen E. Chancellor" <kchance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 21/08/2007 5:59

Hi all,
I have received many helpful suggestions. Thanks to all. I have been
having better luck with the Folkmaster (than
Marine Band). Putting my lower jaw out further has helped too I
believe.
I can bend 2 draw down to F. I can sort of get 3 draw down to A, but
when I get to A flat, I tend to make this high pitched warbling
squeak.
Any thoughts?
Thanks Karen