Re: [Harp-L] bending: beginner to beginner

If you can whistle, you can bend. Bending notes on a harmonica works the same
way as chaning pitches is whistling -- using the back of the tongue to change
the size of the opening to change pitch.

With draw bending, try whistling on the inhale (possible, but rarely done).
Most people can do a weak version of inhale whistling. The point is not to get
a great whistle but to understand the concept of the technique. All you need
to do is make enough noise on your inhale whistle to you can tell that you are
changing pitch.

Failing that, trying saying yeoow on the draw notes you are trying to bend.
To avoid choking the note (an accidental bend that you DON'T wont) see
Eeeee on the inhale or exhale.

Remember, as everybody kept saying all week at SPAH--: It's finesse not
force. You are not trying to suck the reeds out of the harp. Bends take very little
effort -- if the mouth shape is right. You can play bend very quietly.
Phil Lloyd