Re: [Harp-L] question about tuning a harp

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Deifik" <kenneth.d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 10:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] question about tuning a harp

Vern wrote:
At the factory, they use a box connected to a centrifugal pump that has an opening slot for one reed. This sounds one reed continuously. If you are handy with tools, you can build such a device

Vern,
Knowing your engineering and design background, and having been blown away by your demo of the Hands-Free Chromatic device, I have to wonder, have you ever thought about designing a set of harmonica workbench tools for sale to the harp world?

Ken

I'm flattered by the implication that I have something to offer to the harmonica community. Yes, I have thought about it but decided that the number of estimated sales and the limited price I could charge would not justify the daunting effort to productize the set of tools that I have made for my own use. They would also require an extensive instruction manual or DVD. Harp technicians, me included, are independent types who prefer their own methods and tools I can mentally run down a list of a dozen of the guys that I consider to be top technicians and can't imagine any one of them coughing up a couple of grand for a set of my tools! So far, my plate is full making and selling Hands-Free-Chromatics and Ergonomic-Neck-Racks. Then, I need time to practice and play.

I love you guys, but I have learned that selling home-made gear to harp players isn't my road to fame and fortune. ;o)

In the interim, I am happy to describe how I solve my maintenance problems and to allow those interested to copy my tools.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com