Re: [Harp-L] question about tuning a harp

Tuning or repairing a harmonica can be a tedious job!

I'm not an expert harp tuner, but I have done some
tuning over the years.

First, I have to suggest getting Rupert Oysler's
Harmonica Repair DVD... a wealth of good information
that could save you lots of time and aggravation, and
what tools to use!

http://www.harprepair.com/

The reeds on the draw (bottom) plate are easiest
to tune because you can leave the plate attached to
the comb.

The blow reeds are tougher, because you might have to
remove the plate from the comb, but its still possible
to re-tune the reeds without removing.  I usually
remove the plates (usually the harp has screws and no
nails).

While tuning a reed on a plate that has been removed,
you can test the reed by holding the plate up to your
mouth and drawing your breath through the reed slot
of the reed being tuned, and check it with a tuning
meter.  This usually saves lots of time instead of
putting everything back together to test.

Some people test the tuning by just plinking the reed,
but I usually do the draw/breathing test.

Then when it seems pretty close to being in tune,
reassemble the harp without the screws/nails (I some-
times put maybe one screw back in), hold it all
together with your fingers, and check the reed again
with the tuning meter.

The re-tuning may effect the opposite blow or draw
reed, so you may have to retune that one also.

It does get a bit tedious... best not to attempt it
when your are tired or in a hurry.

I'm sure lots of pros and customizers have their
tricks and secrets... all comes from practice and
thinking about what you are doing.

Rupert's DVD is a great place to start...

Keep Tuning (and harping)!

Ken H in OH