Re: [Harp-L] question about tuning a harp

At the factory, they use a box connected to a centrifugal pump that has an opening slot for one reed. This sounds one reed continuously. If you are handy with tools, you can build such a device using a tank-type vacuum cleaner, a 2KW light dimmer to make it run slower, quieter, and at 5 instead of 80 inches of water (a measure of pressure). More details about the one that I built if you are interested.

A better solution is for you to learn to "kiss the reedplate".

1. Hold the reedplate...
...by the long edges ,
...with the reeds horizontal,
...with the reed-side of the plate toward you
...with your thumbs and index fingers in line with the ends of the reed to be sounded
...with your fingers NOT touching the reed.

2. Place the reed to your lips...
...to form an air seal around the reed
...with your lips close to but NOT touching the reed
...if you are careful with the valves, this can be done on chromatic plates

3. Blow to sound the reed...even the draw reeds!  *
...while watching your electronic tuner
...it is also possible to turn the plate over and draw but
...blow works best for me

* The reed doesn't know or care if you are blowing or drawing. All it knows is that there is a difference in pressure that causes air to flow through the slot.

4. Embouchures...
...Low / long reeds respond best to a minimum volume embouchure where the lips and tongue are as close to the reed as possible without touching it.
....High / short reeds respond best to a high-volume embouchure, Hold your mouth/tongue as though you had a pear inside.
...Mid-range reeds respond to almost any embouchure.
...The above is non-intuitive. I cannot explain the reasons.

With just a little practice, you should be able to tune your harps without having to repeatedly reassemble them. If you discover that the assembled harp is a tiny bit sharper or flatter than the kissed reedplate, then offset the kissed tuning to compensate. I think that you will agree that this technique is a great time-saver.

Incidentally, this convincingly demonstrates how unimportant the mechanical parts of the harp are to the sound. You can get a full, rich harmonica tone without any participation of the comb and covers. It denies any effects arising from the materials and/or minor differences in shape of the comb and covers. It does demonstrate the importance of player embouchure, especially at the low and high ends.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com

----- Original Message ----- From: <yumpin_yimminie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>