[Harp-L] bluegrass harmonica

In a message dated 8/11/2007 9:44:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Cara is  right about Bluegrass having so much blues in it, especially Bill
Monroe... a  lot of the bluegrass standards got their start as a blues standard
and came  into the genre via Monroe. Here's some more: Blue Yodel No. 7, No.
5, No. 8  (Muleskinner Blues) No. 4, Brakeman's Blues, are all 12-bar blues
standards  that came into bluegrass via Monroe and are now standards.

Bill Monroe was said to be cantankerous person and quite the subjective
personality.  Who asked for his negative comment to PT Gazell that the  harp
"ain't no bluegrass instrument"?
  He used accordion in his original bands?  Hmm....  I wonder why he wouldn't
appreciate the addition of a great harp  player.  To me, great harp sounds
great in bluegrass and I  disagree with any comments that Bill's original bands
or  songs couldn't have been improved with a great harp player.  I  betcha if
Charlie McCoy was around then, Bill would have had him in  the band,
especially if he could play good baseball. (This is a reference  to one Monroe
biography that said that because Bill used to have the band  play competitive baseball
when on the road, he occasionally chose band  members who were better
baseball players than  musicians).  If Charlie had been in the band, close minded
"purists" would be turning their noses up at some other instrument.
ron