[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 48, Issue 31

>> And beyond loving the style, some people approach music as a
>> familiar comfort, not an adventure. They don't WANT it to
>> change.

  Very true. Those people don't realize just how revolutionary bluegrass was when Bill Monroe took the Opry stage in 1939. People don't know much about the history of the music they play. I go to bluegrass jams all the time and say "Anybody know any Jimmie Rodgers?" They usually don't. He's one of the most important people in the development of American Music -- Bluegrass and Rock N' Roll have him as an grandfather, country as a father. How could you play bluegrass and not know anything from brother Jimmie Rodgers?

Dave Payne Sr.
Journalist and writer
1114 Charles St.
Parkersburg, WV 26101