RE: [Harp-L] HarpMaster vs. Delta Frost (was Bushuki vs. Suzman)

Daniel,

> I have a Delta Frost, a HarpMaster, and two BluesMasters.  I
> don't have the Delta Frost with me, but to the best of my
> memory, I tried to swap the plates with the Suzuki's, and it
> wouldn't take.

I have a DF in 'C' that came (!!!) with no cover lids and
oxidized reedplates. Thus I will try swapping lids
and then eventually reedplates with Suzukis.

>  I definitely think that the BluesMaster is
> quieter and harder blowing than the HarpMaster.  If that is
> entirely a product of my trying to compensate for the
> different cover plates, then shame on me.

You're not to blame. I would leave it to the same
as when guitar players discuss the shapes of the necks
of their guitars. Some prefer V-shaped, some U-shaped.

> What I don't know is how durable the Delta Frost is.

I haven't blown one out yet. But I try to blow as soft as
possible just enough to get a good tone. Intrestingly the
consumer ratings on coast2coast (you have to click
the refresh button after having loaded the page for the
first time, to see all of them - see
http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/BU7.html)
talk about some blowouts.

> I have no idea whether or not you could get a Delta Frost
> out of a reed plate swap between a HarpMaster and a BluesMaster.

Eventually I'll give it a try - when I have to replace
reedplates and in the case of the DF in C.

> I also have some serious doubts that the phosphor
> bronze reeds are more durable, as opposed to the brass reeds
> that look the same on the Lee Oskar and the HarpMaster.  Both
> of those are extremely durable.

I agree

> I like the Seydel's and the Bushman Soul's Voice.

By the way: I own a few Seydel Blues Sessions too and
I think that they are great harmonicas. But I'd love them
even more If they would be a little more resonsive.
But maybe I have to work on the gaps.

Regards,

Tom