Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass Harmonica

Good ideas.  But you don't have to speed up Shenandoah.  It plays well in
bluegrass fast or slow.  Buffalo Gals can be found in bluegrass medium or
fast.  Bluegrass isn't all fast -- there are some beautiful slow stuff, too,
with the same energy and drive and conviction as the faster stuff, but
slower.

All that is really important is to keep it bluegrass, fast or slow, simple
or hard, etc.  Keep it bluegrass and they will enjoy having you in the jam.

One of my main suggestions to folks just getting into these situations is to
start keeping a notebook wherein you will note the common tunes and the keys
in which they are played and anything else along the way that you learn and
do not want to forget.  From these notes you can compose a tune/song list
and the keys for the tunes/songs (and positions) so that you can call a
tune, sing it, play it, and enjoy it with the rest of the group.  It is
usually a good idea to learn a few old standards, as well as bring some more
unique tunes, original tunes, or converted tunes to the jam.  If they are
not up for any of the latter, they will be up for the former -- and jams
usually always need lead singers and people who can call and start a tune
reliably.  Keeping a notebook is the first stage of learning to be prepared
for the jam.

Cara