[Harp-L] Bushuki vs. Suzman (was Suzuki Harps and Reed Material)

I've got to go along with the earlier analysis to a point.  I don't think either the Delta Frost or the HarpMaster sound gritty, gnarli, or crispy, as described on the web.  I would say that both are much brighter, louder, and the two most free blowing harps on the market.  They play the same for all that matters.  The BluesMaster with it's bronze phosphor reeds plays much differently.  It is harder blowing and one of the quietest harps you can buy.  Maybe it is the way I play them.  My experience has been that the HarpMaster with it's copper reeds is more durable than the BluesMaster with it's bronze phosphor reeds.  I've blown a BluesMaster flat, and not put a dent in a HarpMaster.  I haven't played the Delta Frost much at all, so who knows.  I find the Lee Oskars to be freakishly durable.  So place your money and make your bets.

Let's look at the prices on harpDepot.com and 1847.com
Delta Frost $26.50
Plates $15.50

HarpMaster $15.95

BluesMaster  $17.95

Unvalved Suzuki Promaster Plates $18.50
Valved Plates $19.95

Soul's Voice $28.50
Plastic Box $1.95
Plates $16.50
Soul's Voice natural minor available in 8 keys $28.50

Seydel Session 27.95 or $34.95 for Natural Minor.  Both include free leather sleeves that sells separately for $2.95.  Reed plates go for 19.95 for Richter tuned and $24.95 for minor tuned.

Lee Oskars $23.45
plates $15.45
No extra charge for alternate tunings.

Those are the facts.  The real purpose of this post is to defend Bushman.  I'm surprised that I'm the first one to do so.  Defending someone against posts that could conceivably be construed as negative seems to be the norm here.  The implication is that the Bushman products are the same as Seydel and Suzuki seems to be derogatory.  The implication is being made by a Suzuki representative no less.  The proper response by Bushman should probably be to stop "remarketing" and "reselling" Suzuki harmonicas with the Bushman name on it, or demand a lower price since Bushman is just a remarketer and reseller.

It wouldn't be that much of a sacrifice.  I really don't think the Bushman Delta Frosts, made to order by Suzuki, are much of an improvement over the Harpmaster, although I have no intention of purchasing another one of either.  Depending on taste, the Soul's Voice is arguably an improvement over the Seydel Session.  I intend to purchase more of both.  The Soul's Voice has upgraded cover plates and is gapped wider out of the box.  After a break in period or a gapping, they will become identical except for the cover plates.  The parts are interchangeable between the Soul's Voice and the Seydel Session.  You can get a natural minor Soul's Voice for no extra charge, and plates for Richter tuned.  This will also leave you the option of swapping parts and making a Dorian harp [which plays in the Dorian mode in cross harp and the Mixolydian mode in straight harp].  The parts are not interchangeable between the Delta Frost and the Suzuki models, even if they
 are identical in many other respects.

Very similar automobiles have been sold under different brands for 100 years.  These days, the parts of an automobile are becoming more and more similar across brands.  I have some serious doubts that Lee Oskars and Suzuki parts are made in different places.  I can only speculate how much input Bushman and Lee Oskar, the musician, had into their harmonicas' engineering.  I know that Lee Oskar had considerable input into his alternate tunings.  So if Lee Oskar is a remarketer/reseller of Tombo harmonicas, who is to complain!  Once you get the shell that includes a great box, you can swap great plates no problem.  I don't particularly like the Lee Oskar tuning out of the box, but the factory tuning, and my own concoctions stay on the reeds for longer than I can imagine.  Chinese harmonicas seem to be remarketed, rebranded, and resold by just about everyone, including Hohner.  You can get a harmonica with your own name on it no problem!  Advertise your
 business or political advocacy on a harmonica if you like.

It has been said on earlier posts that the products marketed by any given company are different in different parts of the world.  A distinction should be made between marketing and selling.  Suzuki stands alone in not selling products marketed in other parts of the world.  You can, and I have, purchase a Tombo harmonica from Japan directly from Tombo.  There is an email point of contact on their website.  You have to use very simple English with the Gentleman that takes the orders.  But he will play ball with you and get the job done.  I've gotten valves and warranty work done from Hohner in Virginia no problem.  I can't imagine that they would refuse to sell goods and services if you wanted a European harmonica, or custom tuning.  They'll probably charge you for it, but, at any rate, they answer their emails.  Suzuki has not answered two of my emails sent to their plant.

There's a good issue for debate!  Who makes/markets the best box?  Which brand comes out of the box tuned top dead center, whether or not you like the tuning.  My votes go to Lee Oskar and Seydel.

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222