RE: [Harp-L] Bushuki vs. Suzman (was Suzuki Harps and Reed Material & Bushman Delta Frost)

Dear list,

Due to ongoing discussions a few weeks ago I have tried to compare a

- Suzuki Harmaster (MR200)
- Suzuki Bluesmaster (MR250)
- Bushman Delta Frost (DF)

all in the key of A - out of the box.

Like any comparison this is highly subjective and also a result of the
harmonicas I've got. Production tolerances might let the different models
vary.

Anyway - first let me tell you that the differences in sound are not THAT
big. I hope nobody will be disappointed now.

Responsiveness: All three harmonicas are VERY responsive and pretty loud -
even when played softly. It is very hard to find differences here, only MY
DF bends less easy on 3rd draw but this might be solved by re-gapping.

Loudness: The MR200 is in terms of loudness no. 1, followed by the DF and
then by the MR250 which is not surprising to me, because the MR250 has
different lids, which are less high. Although the MR200 and the DF have the
same kind of lid, the openings at the back vary in shape and size. But the
differences with the latter two are very small.

Tone: In terms of gnarliness and grittiness - the "cracklely" tone which
Bushman quotes on their website - the MR200 is ahead of the DF as well. Not
much but still. Suzuki claims that the MR200 has a mellow tone - I disagree.
I would call it definetely more metallic than for example the sound of a
Marine Band or a SP20.

Playability: Great - all three of them. The combs seem to be identical, the
stainless steel covers are smooth. The MR250 is very ergonomic due to it's
lower lids (if I'd compare it with my Hering Blues 2020 and ergonomy would
be the ONLY criterion the Hering would have to be called "fat"). All three
harmonicas work great out of the box, blow and draw notes, same as draw and
blow bending in the lower as in the higher notes work just great.

Tuning is equal temperament (quote from Pat Missin's excellent review
http://www.planetharmonica.com/ph5/Pat/SuzukiSC56PatUK.htm) again on all
three models - which can be heard when compared with a Hohner SP20 in A.

Conclusion:
1) The differences are not as big to justify a big myth as some "markting"
might suggest: They are all good harmonicas - out of the box.
2) DF-lovers should give the MR200 a try, maybe even the MR250(I wonder what
would happen when mounting DF or MR200 lids on a MR250 comb & reedplates?)
3) Personally, the MR200 and MR250 were my first but not my last Suzukis. I
think the MR250 is superb (not having tried a MR350 yet...) and has a great
potential. No afiliation with the company - I like SP20s and Hering 2020s
too.

Cheers, Tom