[Harp-L] re: rut

Play with other musicians. They come up with wild stuff and you grow just by hanging out.

Change positions. Try 2nd position mixolodian (play a major scale in second position, not a blues scale). Try fifth, try third, try 1st. I am really enjoying 3rd. It's changing the way I think about harmonica. Get an alternate tuned harp.

Find a reason to woodshed, be it a gig, a jam session, a recording session. I'm lazy. I got tired of wrecking Haggard's MAMA TRIED and finally decided I was going to figure out where those country riffs are. I wanted a harp riff on this spacey trance tune. I had to learn how to play it.

Listen to all sorts of stuff. I've been heavy into lounge and salsa. Haven't figured out how to incorporate it into my playing but it's in the back of my head, germinating.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm