Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica in Bluegrass - Personal Experience

IcemanLE@xxxxxxx wrote:

There are other blue grass players that accept harmonica. Jerry
Douglas, Tony Trishka, Mark Schatz to name a few.

I played with Tony in the sixties and seventies. A brilliant, kind cat, and one of the funniest people I've ever encountered. He was part of Breakfast Special, an incredible band that also featured Andy Statman, who I grew up with, Kenny Kosek who is still the first-call bluegrass fiddle guy in NYC from what I hear and Stacy Phillips, who is always mentioned in the top tier of dobro guys. Those guys all studied the classic bluegrass records in a most profound way, and could tell you if a trill included three or four notes, and who played on what recordings.

But they all wanted to make something new from what they learned. I loved sitting in with those guys always. All they wanted to hear or play was something new.

Speaking of bizarre tunings - Andy Statman worked for Vassar Clements in the mid-seventies, playing both mandolin and tenor sax. He didn't feel like getting an apartment in Nashville, which was the band's home destination, so he would crash at my place. He kept much earlier hours than I did, so I'd be puttering around and he be sleeping on my couch. At least once a night he'd wake up and tell me he had just had a dream about a new mandolin tuning, and did I mind if he monkeyed with it?

Well, of course I didn't mind. He'd tune the eight strings, sometimes to eight different notes, and instantly achieve a sound I had never heard before. He'd then start working on a theory of the tuning, with chords and arpeggios and melodies, all of it total brand new on this earth. He'd do this for about a half hour, at which point he'd have invented a brand new music. Then he'd go back to sleep and in the morning he'd have dreamt up another new tuning.

For that guy, putting harmonica in a bluegrass setting was as natural as a running brook.