Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica in Bluegrass - Personal Experience

When I've been in an environment that suggested
Bluegrass/any-and-all-other fast-played
generic-English-Irish-Amero-folk, I think of myself... with the
harmonica... as the pretender to the fiddle.
You can do lots of bends, but somehow, they seem boorish with the
purer forms of bluegrass where the emphasis is on quickly executed
elegant lines of notes that don't hang around very long before the
next one is heard.
I first got comfortable with the idea of playing harmonica in that
setting after listening to (and enjoying) a double-live album we had
by the Seldom Seen.
Somehow after that, it just seemed possible and I was invited back as
often as I'd come.
Brad Trainham