Re: [Harp-L] signifyin'

Yes!!
>From my point of view, the phrase "signifyin'" was rural... (Bear in
mind I'm speaking from the context of Alabama in the 1960's when many
black people had seen what's what and moved some place a little more
humane.) whereas "the dozens" as far as I know would usually suggest
an urban environment.
You'd really need an anthropo-sociologist to verify my notions of
things as they all flow from childhood memories which are never as
exact as they seem to the former child.
Brad Trainham