Re: [Harp-L] Shure 540S

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 19:52:24 +0100 (BST)
From: David Dix <dixdr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Shure 540S
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

>I got a 540S off eBay, but haven't used it much because when I hold it in
>a tight cup i get another note a full octave below the note i'm playing.
>Like playing through an Octavider. Only I don't want to. Has anyone else
>experienced this with these mics? Does anyone have a way to fix it?

Have you tried your 540S with any other amplifiers?
I've heard this happen on a friend's Blues Jr, when we were testing
out an Astatic M127.  I'd never had that problem before, and had
played it through a variety of amps.  A few weeks later I tried it out
on another mate's Blues Jr Tweed, and after extensive playing, there
was still no problem.

  I vaguely remember reading an online article addressing a "farting"
sound in the bass register, and it was to do with the amp speaker.
  I think the fix was to either replace the speakers with something
better, or to "dope" the speakers which involves applying black sticky
stuff around the speaker.   I'm no expert on this, but since no one
else has replied, at least you might be able to do some relevant
Google searches on the above.

Cheers,
-- G.