[Harp-L] Subject: Re: Ear Pain on a Plane

This has been a topic of conversation here before...and I hope it's  okay to
post this article..the first
one I've ever found FINALLY putting a name to the problem of severe  ear pain
on planes.  I feel it's
relevant...since if anyone who suffers from this problem arrives at a
Convention or Gig and has
 developed ear difficulties...it'll make it a mite  difficult to play their
harmonica. Luckily mine held off
 until the return flight home from  Buckeye...but I'm still  recovering,
since I did fall asleep and wasn't
drinking sufficient fluids before the descent began, and the  medicine I
needed was tossed in the Cargo
 Hold along with my harps.

In my case, I seem to have extremely narrow Eustachian tubes  naturally, so
the head cold issues
have no bearing.  I need to use ear plugs designed for Air  Travel...have
purchased them from this website:
The Ear Plug Super Store _www.earplugstore.com_
(http://www.earplugstore.com/) .  The  ones I use are FliteMates (must be typed in).
Other people attending SPAH last year showed me other special ear  plugs
they'd gotten from the site
unrelated to travel.

I'm glad to finally find an article about this, hope people pay more
attention to small children crying in pain
on flights...I plan to take several copies with me each time I fly  from now
on to share with the flight crew,
though several of these "home made" solutions simply don't  work for me.
Fluids, chewing gum and liberal
use of Afrin saline are the only remotely helpful suggestions, along  with
prescription medication.

"

Avoiding an Earful of Trouble
by _Michelle  Badash, MS_
(http://www.beliefnet.com/healthandhealing/getcontent.aspx?cid=14072)

Barotrauma.  It sounds like something an opera singer might haveâbut  chances
are good that you've experienced it yourself.  Barotrauma refers to the
uncomfortable pain in your ears when  there is a sharp change in altitude, such as
during flying,  diving, mountain climbing, or even riding in an elevator.
Usually it's just a temporary discomfort, but in certain  instances it can result
in ear damage.

What's Happening in the Ear
Why do your ears "pop" when air pressure  changes? The answer is found in the
complex structure of your  ear, and the way air pressure is balanced inside
and outside  your head.
The ear is made up of three main compartments:  the outer ear, middle ear,
and inner ear. Air enters the outer  ear (the part that you can see) and travels
through the ear  canal to the eardrum. In between the eardrum and the
entrance  to the middle ear is an air pocket. This air pocket is  connected to the
Eustachian tube, which extends from the  middle ear to the back of the nose. As
you breathe, the  Eustachian tube is constantly circulating air to the middle
ear air pocket, which keeps air pressure inside and outside  your head in
equal balance. The "popping" feeling you may  experience is due to the
compression or expansion of air as  you move up or down.

Why Head Colds Are Trouble
Normally, a head cold is a minor health ailment.  But if you're planning on
flying or scuba diving, a head cold  can become a significant problem. Head
colds, allergies and  sinus infections may block the flow of air through the
Eustachian tube, creating a vacuum in the middle ear. This  prevents air pressure
equalization, and causes the eardrum to  stretch, which is painful.
Divers need to be especially careful of air  pressure equalization when
ascending or descending. If the  Eustachian tube is blocked, extreme changes in air
pressure  can force fluid (like blood serum) to seep into the middle ear  to
fill the vacuum as a diver ascends or descends. Divers have  nicknamed this
painful feeling "the squeeze" when it happens  during descent (or "reverse
squeeze" during ascent.) In  addition, fast descent without proper equalization may
rupture  the eardrum.
The best advice on flying or diving when you  have a head cold, allergies or
sinus infection:  Don't.

Prevention and Treatment of  Barotrauma
There are several ways to help prevent, or  treat, ear discomfort during
altitude changes:

Prevention
    *   â Stimulate airflow: The key to preventing  barotrauma is maintaining
a good flow of air into the  Eustachian tube. Here's how:
    *   Sip fluids to keep swallowing.
    *   Yawn frequently.
    *   Chew gum or suck on candy.
    *   â Stay awake during descent:Because you seldom  swallow during sleep,
the Eustachian tube may remain closed.  Try to have someone wake you before
the plane  descends.

Treatment for discomfort
    *   Pinch your nostrils shut, close your mouth, and blow  gently.
    *   Yawn with your mouth closed.
When you hear a "pop", you will have succeeded  in unblocking your ears.
Nearly all cases of barotrauma that occur during  flying or mountain climbing
resolve spontaneously without  incident. However, divers who experience
severe pain or  significant hearing loss should see a doctor.

Flying With Children
You've probably noticed that infants and  children often become fussy or
agitated during plane take-offs  and landings. In many cases this is due to ear
pain. Small  children are especially prone to blockage of their narrow
Eustachian tubes.
The best way to help prevent barotrauma in  children is to encourage them to
drink liquids. Drinking keeps  the Eustachian tubes clear by:
    *   Thinning nasal secretions
    *   Promoting swallowing
Try to breast- or bottle-feed infants during  take-off and before descent.
Also, be sure to have a pacifier  for your infant to suck on. For older
children, bring  non-caffeinated drinks (water is best), or gum or hard candy.  You
may want to give older children acetaminophen a half hour  before flying.

Medication Do's and Don'ts
Some frequent air travelers take decongestant  pills or use nasal spray to
prevent barotrauma. These  medications help shrink membranes, and help the ear
to  equalize air pressure more easily. However, you should avoid  these
medications if you have the following:
    *   Heart disease
    *   Irregular heart rhythms
    *   High blood pressure (hypertension)
    *   Elevated thyroid hormone (hyperthyroidism)
    *   Anxiety or excessive nervousness
Also, if you are scuba diving, do NOT take  antihistamines, which may cause
disorientation or drowsiness  during diving.

RESOURCES:
American Academy of Pediatrics
_http://www.aap.org_ (http://www.aap.org/)
Scuba Diving Magazine
_http://www.scubadiving.com_ (http://www.scubadiving.com/)

____________________________________
Last reviewed September 2005 by _Steven  Bratman, MD_
(http://www.beliefnet.com/healthandhealing/getcontent.aspx?cid=29311)
Please be aware that this information is  provided to supplement the care
provided by your physician. It  is neither intended nor implied to be a
substitute for  professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER  IMMEDIATELY
IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.  Always seek the advice of
your physician or other qualified  health provider prior to starting any new
treatment or with  any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
_Copyright  2006_ (http://www.epnet.com/uploads/thisTopic-dbTopic-473.pdf)
- _EBSCO Publishing_ (http://www.epnet.com/)  All rights  reserved.