[Harp-L] Re:looking for new inspiration

Hey list,

Dov Hammer writes:

 " I want to hear what the "cutting edge" of diatonic harmonica players are
doing. Can anyone suggest some good albums (or downloads) where I can hear
good  "modern" diatonic playing (E.G
- use of overblows, different positions etc.).  "

 IMO,  any one Howard Levy recording will give you more cutting edge diatonic
playing  than anyone else's entire career work. It's not necessarily better
or  worse than other players, (actually, IMO.... it is better) but  Levy
actually uses more unusual positions, overblows & overdraws,  octaves, split bends,
etc, etc...... & covers more musical ground than  anyone.
I think the album he did with Paul Sprawl is one of his most easily
accessible.

Carlos Del Junco& Jason Ricci are great blues oriented players who use  OBs.
Michael Peloquin is a monster who uses OBs.

Michalek plays a lot of styles well, & uses OBs, unusual positions,  &
effects masterfully.

I'm not too familiar with Jason Rosenblatt - what I've heard sounds  good.

I really dig Steven De Bruyn & his band The Rhythm Junks; I think he  uses
alternate tunings, but I'm not sure about OBs or non standard positions.  BTW,
anyone know whether I can get the new album in the US? They have a  couple
songs on i-Tunes.

All these guys have recordings out.

There are  others I'm forgetting & some un-recorded players who are pushing
the  envelope, but the dudes I've mentioned are a good place to start.

Rosco

_may.be  au.gust_ (http://www.maybeaugust.com/)  website

buy CDs, sample music:CD  Baby: maybe august

_myspace -  www.myspace.com/maybeaugust_ (http://www.myspace.com/maybeaugust)