Re: [Harp-L] What to do with a Bahnson Overblow Harp?

Björn -

The slide button operates a pair of flate plates that slide against the
reedplates, mounted on the side of the reedplate opposite to the side
that has all the reeds. The blow reed plate has the reeds on the
inside, so the blow slide plate is on the outside. The draw reedplate
has the reeds on the outside, so the draw slide plate is on the inside.

The slide plate in the out position does nothing at all. If you play
the instrument and do not press the slide button, it has no effect on
the reeds.

When you press the slide button, the plates slide into place and block
the airflow from reaching certain reeds:

Blow 1, 4, 5, and 6 are blocked.

Draw 7, 8, 9 and 10 are blocked.

(The other reed in each of these holes is then isolated, allowing for
easier overblows in Hols 1, 4, 5, and 6, and easier overdrawas in Holes
7, 8, 9, and 10.)

If you press the slide into place while no reed are vibrating, again,
there is no danger to the reeds.

However, if you press the slide and shift the slide plates while reeds
are vibrating, there is the possibility that a reed's vibration will
carry it through its slot. For instance, Blow 1 might swing all the way
through the slot and be hit by the edge of the slide plate as it moves
into place to block that reed's slot from receiving air.

This possibility suggests that you should be careful to move ths slide
plates only when the reeds mentioned above are not vibrating.

However, I have had the experience of moving the slider while playing
and hearing a slight sound as the slide plate catches the edge of the
reed, but this did not cause any damage to the reed. All the same, it's
good to be careful.

Winslow