[Harp-L] covers (was comb material)

In a message dated 4/23/2007 7:18:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I very much doubt that anyone could detect in a "blind" comparison any
difference in sound between otherwise-identical diatonics having different  covers.
 I am skeptical about the bending of flanges at the rear of  diatonic covers
or holes in the covers having any effect on loudness.

Interesting, thanks.  Evidently others disagree.  Just the  other day, a
poster opined that the lack of open sides on Seydel's new  stainless steel harps
was a "huge" detriment.  He followed up by saying  that he employs the Marine
Band type covers to do a certain kind of trumpet  sounding wah - wah effect
(which i'd like to hear).  The implication was  that he couldn't play that effect
without the open sided covers.
ron