Re: [Harp-L] Seydel 1847 & Serious Blues in Roanoke

Cliff Hall wrote:
> I noticed that Tim Moyer listed polishing the reed plate
> edges as one of the tasks he had applied to his.  Tim - was
> this because of sharp edges, excessive protrusion, or something
> else?  How did you polish them?  Any info appreciated.

They are not completely flush, though the protrusion is minimal.  I
used to detest protruding reed plates until I figured out a simple
way to polish them smooth.  I use 0000 (that's four zeros, or "four
aught") steel wool.  You can get this anywhere they sell painting
supplies (even Wal Mart), and I just tear off a little bit and wad
it into a small ball and, after removing the plates from the
harmonica body!) rub it back and forth lengthwise a few dozen times,
until the plate edges are smooth as silk.  Be careful not to tangle
it in the ends of the draw reeds that face the front!  I found that
this in combination with the already excellent finish on the front
edges of the 1847 comb's tines make a very comfortable playing
surface.

-tim