[Harp-L] comb material

Zombor wrote:
It seems that those who already know that comb material doesn't matter,  are
bored of the topic. But
the only way learning and knowing how the  harmonica works is through such
debates I think, so it is not
useless. New  people will come and the comb material topic will rise again.
It is not obvious  that comb
material doesn't matter.

Nope, not obvious at all.  That's why it is frequently questioned.
  I came close to send this offlist to as to not clog the  archives, but I
often find this thread interesting, tho humorous to some of us  oldies on the
list..  U might check the archives...I'm not sure the  archives go back far
enough but the first one was called "materials debate"  or "comb materials debate"
iirc.    Actually, the  guys behaved themselves better this time, ha.
  Seriously......the thread showed that comb material DOES  matter, tho
apparently just not to harp tone.   It's been a  fruitful thread, I'd say -- and
one that i thought i'd stay out of till  today!  It pointed out problems of wood
combs -- nail  construction, air loss, and swelling (the reasons i switched
to plastic  many years ago). It also explored the cleanliness aspects of wood
vs.other materials, and concluded with the fact that diff. comb materials
inspire some players who in turn inspire their listeners.
Ron - FL Keys