Re: [Harp-L] comb material

I agree with Vern 100%.

Well, I was the harp player at the "Scientific Test" ten years ago at  SPAH
in Detroit, USA.
Before the test I was convinced that comb material makes a big difference  to
the sound... After the test I changed my mind. Lead comb? concrete comb?
metal comb? No difference AT ALL to the sound, just so long as the harp is
"airtight". IT SOUNDS THE SAME.

I got Antony Danneker to build me 3 identical diatonic harps, all in Bb all
with "Blues Harp MS" Cover plates... One plastic comb (from a Big River MS)
One  alloy metal comb (Meisterclasse MS) and one dousie hard wood comb, (Blues
Harp MS)

No difference to "tone". AT ALL.. Just to airtightness!

BUT the comb material makes a difference to "playability"!

I started playing diatonic with Echo Vampers (12 hole Marine Bands as  sold
in the U.K.) Then changed for cost reasons,  to Echo Super Vampers  (Regular 10
hole Marine Band HMs) back in the 1960s.

They had pear wood combs and ripped my lips to pieces when the combs
swelled... NOT NICE! They acted as harsh files on my lips.

These days I like to play a harp with a metal comb, when I can afford  it!
Not because of the "tone" Just because an inert metal comb is more airtight
and plays better... If set up well!

However the COVERS make a world of difference..
But that's another story!

John "Whiteboy" Walden
London
England