Re: [Harp-L] wooden cutting boards was Personality Test

On first, and especially second, and more careful inspection of this
allegedly "scientific" document, there comes to mind the following:

1)the parameters are flawed.

a)for instance, why, in this modern era, are they only using a "sponge",
"hot tapwater", and "liquid dishwashing detergent" to perform "manual
cleaning"? Why not use a BRUSH? A sponge could not possibly get into the
cracks of a scored plastic surface, as does a brush.

 b)only in passing, briefly, do they mention that "Work surfaces that have
been cleaned can be disinfected with bleach (sodium hypochlorite) solutions;
this disinfection is reliable only if cleaning has been done successfully."

 c) One would assume that the above, "successfully", would require the use
of a brush, rather than merely a "sponge", as the bristles of a brush are
much more effective in getting into the knife scores of a used surface than
a mere "sponge".

  d) Due to the above lack of oversight, one could also assume that the
study has been "dumbed down" in order to reflect, perhaps, a less
intelligent control group,,e.g.,,"housewives"??!

 e)Upon first inspection it occurs to me that the digital background for
this result has been graphically modified to appear as an aged document,
"prettied up", one might say. In what other professionally done,
scientifically scrutinized studies would this have been necessary, or found
to have been used? Isn't the standard a plain white background? Who are they
trying to influence, "sell" this study to, and WHY?

f) It also occurs to me that there is a sector of the retail merchandising
world that may have an intimate and lucrative interest in the outcome of
this study, in favor of wood, over plastic. What controls have been put into
place as well as watched in oversight by a third, uninterested party, in
order that this possibility may not affect the outcome of the results? How
are we to know that these alleged "scientists" have not been given
renumeration by those interested in the market, on the side of wood, and
AGAINST plastic?

Too many questions still exist in my own mind, though I haven't yet read the
source material, but only this "prettied up" and, to my own estimation,
awkwardly, unscientifically worded and formatted result. I'm going to have
to do more research of my own. I know that when I forward this result to my
wife, she is also going to want a more stringent inspection, lest she think
me a pure "sap".

Lastly, I doubt whether this study affects the issues before us, as
harmonica players. What comb materials are subjected to the same scarring as
a used cutting board? Personally, the minute I even DROP one of my harps, if
it hits the floor, it gets at least an adequate rinsing.

Bob